How does a deaf person discover that people communicate through sounds, that the shaping of lips they see produces words and communication?
This drama-documentary looks at the issue “from within”, from the vantage point of Sandrine and her true story. Deaf since birth, she was born to hearing parents. From early childhood to adult age, we discover the “hearing universe” as Sandrine did - looking at her surroundings with wonder and puzzlement. At first, noone fully realised she was deaf. She even went to regular school wondering how the others comprehended what the teacher was trying to impart…
It is a surprisingly funny film, a film that makes us wonder whether the truly deaf and hard-of-hearing are not the ones we first thought…
Festivals and Awards:
* 2012: "Best Documentary Film for the Hearing" at the "CineDeaf" Festival, Rome, Italy.
* 2012: Selected at the "Hong Kong International Deaf Festival" (Feb.)
* 2012: Selected at "Breaking Down Barriers", Moscow
* 2011: "Golden Thumbs" Best Documentary Award at "Deaf in the Picture", Amsterdam, Holland (June 2011)
* 2011: Best Documentary & Audience Award at the Toronto Intl. Deaf Film & Arts festival, May 2011.
* 2010: Selected at the"Worlddeaf Cinema Festival", Washinton DC (Nov. 2010)
* 2010: 'Special Mention' at the Intl. Festival of Films on Health, Liège, Belgium.
* 2010: "Etoile" Award, SCAM (Sunny Side, La Rochelle)
* 2010: Selected at the Prix Europa, Berlin (Oct. 2010)
* 2009: Best Documentary Award at the Intl. Festival of Independant Films, Brussels Belgium.
* 2009: Selected at the PRIX EUROPA, category TV Documentary, Berlin, Germany.