This compelling film goes to the front line of the refugee crisis as a handful of citizens do their part to help, thus questioning the role of each of us in troubled times where simplistic arguments blur our understanding of democracy.
Read the full article and interview with the filmmaker published in Variety:
Extract: "When you close the border, you communicate fear....And what we allowed to happen was that politicians, they dealt with it through fear..."
(Nuno Escudeiro in Variety, 3 May 2019)
"The doc focuses not on the horrors people escaped or the perils of their travels—those narratives have been covered elsewhere—but on the individual actions that seek to remedy the solution.... "Escudeiro captures some incredible footage...'
(Pat Mullen, POV Magazine 27/04/19)
"A profound and subtle film that questions the role of each of us in troubled times where simplistic arguments blur our understanding of democracy." (Christine Chaumeau - Télérama, mai 2019)
position 1: 55' version
position 2: 75' versions
Festivals and Awards:
* 2019: Official selection Avigon Festival d'Avignon (June), France
* 2019: Official Italian competition "Visione da Mondo" (September) - Milan, Italy: special Jury Mention & Winner BNL Gruppo BNP Paribas Award
* 2019: Official selection Lunenburg Film Festival, Canada (Sept.).
* 2019: Checkpoints Competition, Bergen Film Festival (September), Norway
* 2019: Official selection BFI London Film Festival(October), UK
* 2019: Official selection UNAFF (October), San Francisco, USA
* 2019: "Emerging international filmmaker" Award for Nuno Escudeiro at HOT DOCS "International Spectrum" (03 May 2019, Toronto)