With no space to grow food for all, Japanese cuisine distilled, instead, the very best from its oceans, the forests and mountains that cover most of the archipelago’s landmass. (Also check out the documentary GRANDMA'S ETERNAL FOREST by the same director).
To truly be nourished, they believe, you must open all your senses, become aware of the world around you and its transformative properties. And in paying thoughtful attention to the delicate and the rare, they discovered astonishing worlds beneath the visible.
To penetrate the secrets of this invisible world we must take a microscopic journey to the genesis of the pure and restrained art of Japan’s cuisine whose twin pillars are:
- a delicate stock named 'Dashi'
- and the golden sauce they call 'Shoyu'
Without them, the delicate balance of textures and harmonisation of flavours which make up the genius of Japanese cuisine, would not be achieved…
Dashi & Shoyu will be shown at the Japan Film Festival of San Francisco, 23- 21 July 2016! Click here to access the festival page.
DASHI, ESSENCE OF JAPAN
SHOYU AND THE SECRETS OF JAPANESE CUISINE
Festivals and Awards:
* 2016: selected at the Japan Film Festival of San Francisco (23 -31 July)
* 2015: Won the prestigious "Shizuo Tsuji Award of Gastronomy" in Japan
* 2014: 2nd Prize of the Japanese Documentary award at the 88th Kinema-Junpo Movie Awards.
* 2014: "Outstanding Documentary of the Year" at the ATP Prize (Association of All Japan TV Program Production) and "Ministry of Communications Prize", Japan.