”If Europe does nothing, we must act”, says Klaus Vogel, the German captain and co-founder of “SOS Méditerranée», a European NGO that chartered the Aquarius, a vessel for 300 passengers, to come to the rescue of migrants in one of the most deadly parts of the Mediterranean, off the Libyan coast, where so many refugees have already perished.
Two reporters have embarked for three weeks to take part in the rescue operations and to witness the daily commitment of a group of people when faced with the desperate plight of others.
"...Poignant moments between the rare survivors returned from hell and a handful of volunteers,captured on camera by Jean-Paul Mari" - Festival de la mer, Hendaye.
Festivals and Awards:
* 2017: Nominated for the Franco-German Prize of Journalism category video. The winners will be announced during the awards ceremony on July 4, 2017.
* 2017: Prix FReDD 2017 of the best feature doc long-métrage (ex-aequo) at 7th Festival FReDD (research / sustainable development) « Seas and Oceans » (31March - 9 April, Toulouse, France)
* 2017: "Prix France 3/Ville d’Hendaye", FILMAR (Film du Festival de la mer), Hendaye, France (March)
* 2017 FIGRA: Official selection in the "Intl competition of +40' docs", 22-26 March (Touquet-Paris-Plage, France)
* 2016: Grand Prix and Young Jurors's Prize at "FIDOM - Intl Festival of Mediterranean documentaries", 20-23 Oct., Banyuls (France).